Haeinsa. How to get to here?
Haeinsa is one of 4 major Buddhist temples in Korea. Haeinsa is well known Buddhism temple for their beautiful ancient architecture and also its numerous Buddhism scriptures written on more than 80,000 wood plates. The wooden scriptures are world largest.
Check below sites to get more information.
Best way ,Seoul to Haeinsa (해인사), is through city ‘Daegu or Taegu (대구, same city)’
Haeinsa is near small city ‘Hapcheon’ (합천). But Frequency of bus from ‘Hapcheon (합천)’ to ‘Haeinsa (해인사)’ is 3 times a day.
But from city ‘Daegu (대구 = Taegu)’ , there are buses runs every 40 minutes from 6:40 to 20:00.
So it will be recommended way transferring bus in city ‘Daegu (대구)’
Basic information (Seoul to Haeinsa) : Quite difficult ‘Seoul to Haeinsa’
- Duration hour : 120 min (Seoul train station to Dong-Daegu (동대구) train station + d
- Train station or Bus terminal to get city Daegu(대구) in Seoul :
- Bus : Seoul express bus terminal (서울 고속 버스 터미널) – Run from 6:00 to 1:30 everyday. Frequency of buses is every 20 minutes.
- Train : Seoul station – Run from 5:30 to 23:00. Frequency of trains is every 10 ~ 40 minutes.
- Transfer transportation
- Bus : Seoul express bus terminal -> Dong-Daegu intercity bus terminal -> transfer to metro train at Dong-Daegu metro station (동대구역) -> going to ‘Sungdangmot’ (성당못) metro station -> Get off metro at ‘Sungdangmot’ (성당못) -> take exit No.4 -> Buy intercity bus ticket for Haeinsa (해인사) at ‘Seobu intercity bus terminal’ (대구 서부 정류장 or 서부 시외버스 터미널) -> transfer to intercity bus -> going to ‘Haeinsa’ (해인사) -> Get off bus at Haeinsa bus stop
- Train : Seoul station -> Dong Daegu station (동대구 역) -> walk to the ‘Dong-Daegu metro station’ (동대구역) -> transfer to metro train at Dong-Daegu metro station (동대구역) -> going to ‘Sungdangmot’ (성당못) metro station -> Get off metro at ‘Sungdangmot’ (성당못) -> take exit No.4 -> Buy intercity bus ticket for Haeinsa (해인사) at ‘Seobu intercity bus terminal’ (대구 서부 정류장 or 서부 시외버스 터미널) -> transfer to intercity bus -> going to ‘Haeinsa’ (해인사) -> Get off bus at Haeinsa bus stop
There is 2 ways to get city ‘Daegu’ from Seoul
(Full map for direction Seoul to Haeinsa)
Fastest but expensive way is take express train from Seoul station to Dong-Daegu station. Fare is about KRW 42,000 (USD 41 value). It takes only about 1 hour 50 minutes.
Cheapest way is by intercity bus. Fare is KRW 17,000 ~ KRW 25,000. Normally (without traffic jam) take 3 hours 40 minutes.
Please check below. It will be first step to know the way ‘Seoul to Haeinsa’
Seoul to Haeinsa; Take step by step
Step 1. (By Bus) Get to ‘Seoul express bus terminal’ (서울 고속 버스 터미널). Metro station is ‘Express bus terminal’ metro station (고속버스터미널 역)
(By Train KTX) Get to ‘Seoul station’ (서울역). Metro station is ‘Seoul station’ (same name with train station)
BUS : Go to Express bus terminal(고속버스 터미널) metro station line 3,7,9. Exit No.1 or 8 is for the terminal entrance.
Train (KTX) : Metro line 1, 4 have ‘Seoul station’. Take exit No.1.
Step 2. (By bus) Find ticket booth for city ‘Dong Daegu terminal’ (동대구 터미널 or 대구 한진 터미널)
(By Train) Buy ticket for ‘Dong Daegu train station’ (동대구역)
** Notice (For Bus passenger) : You must buy ticket for ‘Dong Daegu terminal’ or ‘Daegu Hanjin terminal’. Both terminals are same one. In city Daegu, there are 4 ~ 5 different intercity-bus terminal make sure that you bought right ticket.
BUS : The terminal is usually very crowded. And each ticket booth selling ticket for different destination.
It is not easy to buy right ticket for local people. (At least it always feel difficult for me)
Ask local. Notice, always ask with smile. you never handsome enough to look good person without smile.
Local can’t understand what you are talking? Find younger people or looking smart one.
Ask local!. It is always best way to know the way. Also experience culture
Train : Korail (Korean train) has 3~4 different kind of train. KTX (express), Mugunghwa, Saemaeul, and so on. Take KTX. Other train take 2.5 times more than KTX. You can buy ticket from Ticket machine or booth. Buy ticket for ‘Dong Daegu station’ (동대구역).
Step 3. Get off Bus or Train at ‘Dong Daegu’ (동대구)
Both stop for train and bus is near. check map below.
Step 4. Go to metro station ‘Dong Daegu’ metro station (동대구 역).
Check map above. You will see the metro station. Buy metro ticket. Metro ticket looks different with Seoul metro ticket as you can see below picture. Mostly you can buy ticket from ticket machine.
Step 5. Get on metro train and Get off at metro station ‘Sungdangmot’ (성당못). And going inside of ‘Seobu inter-city bus terminal’ (서부 정류장 or 서부 시외버스 터미널)
Check map above, you will see street view that helps you find right place. Take exit No.3, the terminal is just in front of exit No.3.
Step 6. Buy ticket for Haeinsa at ‘Seobu inter-city bus terminal’ (서부정류장 or 서부 시외버스 터미널)
Check time table and fare below
Step 7. Get on the bus and get off at Haeinsa bus stop
Please see map above. You will see the stop for Haeinsa.
Notice : The bus for Haeinsa stops for 3~5 bus stops. So You need to make sure Haeinsa stops. I’m sure that bus driver doesn’t know English, So show him ‘해인사’ and the driver will let you the right stop.
Time table below is for get back to Daegu. The street view shows bus terminal (I don’t know I can call this as terminal…). The terminal is very near from the Haeinsa bus stop you get off.
Hope this all information helps you ‘Seoul to Haeinsa’.