How to get to DMZ from Seoul by public transportation. -Seoul to DMZ-
Korea has 5 DMZ and 1 Panmunjeom. If you want to know more information, check last posting. (Link click here) Nearest DMZ from Seoul is Dorasan (도라산). You can get to Dorasan (도라산) DMZ by bus and train. Here is official website for information of ‘Seoul to DMZ’ (Link click official)
Basic information (Seoul to DMZ)
You must bring your passport to get permission of enter DMZ. No exception.
- Duration hour : 90~110min.
- Transfer by train : 2 times.
- Seoul station (서울 역) -> Munsan station (문산 역) ->Transfer train at Munsan -> Imjingang station (임진강 역) -> Transfer train at Imjingang -> Dorasan station (도라산 역)
- Transfer by bus : 2 times.
- Bus No 909 or 9710 : Seoul station bus stop, Ytn (서울역,YTN 버스 정류장) -> Transfer at Munsan bus terminal(문산 버스터미널) -> Imjingak tourism bus stop (임진각 관광지 버스 정류장) -> Walk to Imjingang station (임진강 역) -> Transfer to train at Imjingang (임진강) -> Dorasan station (도라산 역)
- Bus No 9710 : Haewoon center bus stop (해운센터 버스 정류장) (near MyungDong, 명동) -> Transfer at Munsan bus terminal(문산 버스터미널) -> Imjingak tourism bus stop (임진각 관광지 버스 정류장) -> Walk to Imjingang station (임진강 역) -> Transfer to train at Imjingang (임진강) -> Dorasan station (도라산 역)
Best way to get Dorasan (도라산) DMZ is train.
Easiest and most time-saved way, Seoul to DMZ, is train.
Let’s take step by step : Seoul to DMZ by train
Step 1. Get to Seoul station (서울역). And find ‘Gyeongui line Seoul station’ (경의라인 서울역)Gyeongui line‘ (경의 라인) in Seoul station. Seoul station is connected with 3 sub stations. Airport railroad, metro No.1 and Gyeongui line. Please check map above. So you can imagine where Gyeongui line Seoul station is. It may hard to find Gyeongui line (경의 라인) at first time.
Step 2. Buying ticket for train heading to ‘Munsan’ (문산)
- Duration hour to Munsan : 80 Min
- Ticket fare : KRW 2150 (USD 2 value)
- Time table below picture.
Enjoy your short train trip.
Step 3. Get off train at Munsan station (문산 역) and transfer train for destination ‘Imjingang station’ (임진강 역) Notice ! : You need to get off train at Imjingang station(임진강 역) to get permission of enter DMZ. See below time table. For Destination ‘Dorasan station’, only 2 trains are available a day. Run Tuesday to Sunday. DMZ is closed on Monday and national holidays.
If you arrived Imjingang station (임진강 역) much earlier than DMZ departure time, you can spend time in Imjingak park (임진각) near Imjingang station (임진강 역)
- Duration hour to Imjingang station : 10 Min
- Ticket fare : KRW 1000 (USD 1 value)
- Time table below picture. (Time table can be changed)
Step 4. Get off train at ‘Imjingang station’ (임진강 역). Getting permission and buying ticket.
It is time to show your passport to the ticket office for Dorasan station and buy ticket for DMZ tour. See below pictures.
Check the cost of DMZ tour. If you choose walking tour, price is cheaper (KRW 3,000 cheaper than shuttle tour)
Show your passport and doing some documentation job shortly. And buy ticket for DMZ.
Step 5. Take train at ‘Imjingang station’ (임진강 역). Get off train at Dorasan station (도라산 역)
Everything is done. Enjoy your trip in DMZ.
Hope this information is helpful for question Seoul to DMZ